2012/03/03

Heartland Fun -The Gleick affair

Firstly let me say I have no idea whether Gleick wrote the memo. Secondly by claiming to be some one else he went further than he should.

The Gleick affair:
If I were faking a memo, and then publishing it for all to dissect (e.g. see here), and I'm not an idiot, so I'd know it would be dissected for similarities to my writing style, and beliefs.

Would I not change that style to another, similar to writings from where I claim it was sent from?
Would I not ensure that my name is not unduly represented?
Would I not make it look just a fraction like it originated at HI.

An alternative view.

Gleick has been bugging my mates from HI with science. I know my mates have nothing to back their arguments and if the conversations continue then they will loose the debate. How to help?

Discredit Gleick!

Easy he is obviously in a somewhat heated mood!
First prime the gun with a document. Make this "leaked" note appear to be written in the style of Gleick - he probably will not notice and it contains some choice phrases so he will probably publish it if he can get corroboration.
Now let's send a sweet email (we'll publish these as proof of how wonderful we are to enrage further - let's invite him to a debate and call his talk part of the entertainment (i.e. it will be a joke session)
"We usually have a keynote speaker or debate for the “entertainment” portion of the event, and I was wondering if you’d be willing to come to Chicago to debate James Taylor" That should push him one step further james Tayloer - a true nonentity in the climate world!
Now we'll rub it in a bit and add a few hinted insults::
" If you’d ever like to engage in a public debate with a Heartland scholar on the topic of climate change, our door is always open.
As for the “entertainment” bit … I think you misunderstand. That word was not intended to make frivolous what Heartland does — in general, or certainly at our annual benefit dinner. We’re a think tank. We love debate, and thrive on intellectual back-and-forth. To me, and our supporters, such a stimulating discussion IS ALSO entertaining. Learning should ever be so.".

Success!
Now wait for Gleick to publish and we have him!

One down! how many more to go?
-------------
There we have it - a sting arranged by HI
Is this any sillier than Mosher looking for the placement of brackets and commas in a small document and trying to prove it was Gleick what done it!?

No comments:

Post a Comment